Monday, May 23, 2016

Please Bring an Updated Resume


At any job interview they ask you to bring an updated version of your resume. For obvious reasons, they need to know if you are able to do the job you've applied for.

Is this person a hard worker?
Do they have the qualities we need, want, and desire of our employees?
How are they with customers?
What do past employers think about them?

In high school my schedule was packed enough that I could get by without needing a job. Then I went into full time ministry for a few years after I graduated. Now I'm a college student who cannot just "get by" without a job. Unfortunately this means my resume has little to no work value on it that people will recognize in the work force.

I have been updating my resume for various summer jobs applications. As I was writing it out, it seemed silly some of the things I was putting down "Head Leader for a Children's Club" and other various such titles, that don't necessarily sound impressive to the secular world. Yet I know I’ve learned important valuable skills even though the title of the position may not sound impressive. I know that if I can get an interview, I would be able to prove myself.

In the Old Testament we have the classic story of a boy named, David.
David was young and his resume read, "shepherd boy" not exactly everyone's first pick when looking for a giant killer. That is until David was able to get an interview with the King and defend his title.

"But David persisted. “I have been taking care of my father’s sheep and goats,” he said. “When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I’ll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!”
Saul finally consented. “All right, go ahead,” he said. “And may the Lord be with you!”
1 Samuel 17:34-37
New Living Translation

The title, "shepherd boy" doesn't sound so silly anymore. David was given this opportunity and he seized it. He seized it so good he cut off the head of the Philistine and gave it to the King.
"There you go sir, told ya I could do it."

No matter where the Lord calls you to go, He will equip you for the job. Even though all odds may be against you, God loves to prove that because of his greatness the weak are able to do anything. 

“…God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong.”
1 Corinthians 1:27

And in return we are able to give Him glory for helping us do what we could not have done in our own strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment